- 10 Self-Love Infused Things To Do Instead Of Another Crappy Date
- 4 Odd Signs The Person You Just Started Dating Is Seriously Bad News
- Too Damaged To Date: 8 Ways To Avoid Letting The Past Ruin Your Future
- What I Learned From Dating 12 Men in 6 Months
- Is It Possible To Have a Good Relationship With Your Polar Opposite?
- Are You An Introvert? How To Date Without Driving Yourself Crazy
- The Extroverted Woman’s Guide to Dating (and Mating With) An Introvert
- 18 Real Online Dating Lessons I Learned the Hard Way
- Why You Should Hold Out For “The Stomach Flip” Before Deciding If He’s Right For You
- “I met this great guy online, how do I get him to ask me out?”
7 Fist-Pumping Reasons To Celebrate Your Breakup
Going through a breakup? I’m well aware how painful that can be.
As painful as that is, there is a silver lining that I want to talk about today— the positive things about a split.
Here are 7 reasons to be happy a relationship ended:
1. More free time.
Want to spend all weekend in your pajamas watching Netflix? Doable.
Want to go on a sudden road-trip? Get in the car.
Want to go to the bar and flirt with randoms? It’s on the menu.
Suddenly you don’t have to worry about anyone else’s schedule. You can do whatever you want, whenever you want, with whoever you want, job and other responsibilities permitting.
2. The relationship in it’s current state was wrong.
Even if you happened to think that every day you spent with your ex was all puppies and rainbows, something was deeply broken to get to the point you’re at now. Whether you seriously want them back or you are relieved they are finally gone, what we can say for sure is that something about it wasn’t quite right and now you’re liberated from the weight of that. In the future, you’re free to act differently, in so many different ways.
3. No more annoying “quirks” to deal with.
Did your ex snore?
Leave their socks all over the living room?
Drive you crazy with prolonged garage band practice?
Guess what, you don’t have to deal with any of it anymore. If you were ever so irritated by their habits that you wanted to shake them, now you don’t have to grind your teeth while biting your tongue.
4. Post breakup is a great time for self examination and reinvention.
If you ever felt stifled by your relationship, now is the time to shed the feeling and examine what YOU really want your life to look like without a peanut gallery whose requirements could hold back your progress. You now have the opportunity to reinvent yourself in any way you choose. Your life can look however YOU want it to look.
5. Any tension you and your ex had with friends and family is over.
Did you ever have to suffer through your friend’s and family’s disapproval of your ex?
Did you have issues with their family?
That time is now officially over. Celebrate with me! Dealing with your friends or family disliking your ex is tough, and being able to let go of those issues can be a real relief.
6. You’re now free to meet the one.
Yes, being dumped sucks the big one. However, now you are free to find the right person for you. If you were in a bad relationship, now you know more about what you don’t want.
If the relationship was great (at least at some point) then you have some experience of what worked. If you were hoping they would just change a few things, you are clearer on what those are. All of this experience helps for next time.
7. No more judgement or criticism.
If you were with someone who made you feel like whatever you did was wrong, you no longer have to deal with their likes and dislikes. So often we conform to what our partner wants (or what we THINK they want) without even realizing it. That time is officially over. And that’s something to smile about.
What other good things came out of your breakup? Tell me your thoughts in the comment section below.